The HOUE Outdoor table range is made using bamboo lamellas (slats). Bamboo is an extremely robust, strong and versatile material but like all natural wooden products it can fade or lighten overtime and be susceptible to mould or fungi spores. This is not unusual for a natural oiled product. New Zealand offers the perfect conditions for mould to grow due to its wet warm rainy days, followed closely by dry hot sunny days.
The information below, and the two short instructional videos will explain how to look after your table and how to stay on top of fading or mould.
We have WOCA Danish Exterior Wood Oil available to buy and addition we can provide WOCA Anti-fungal Exterior Wood Cleaner, both available here.
The bamboo lamellas on your table are treated with a special anti-fungal impregnation from the factory, which is drawn into the bamboo. The table will also have had its first WOCA Danish Exterior Wood Oil application. WOCA Exterior Wood Oil contains an anti-fungal additive where other wood oils may not. This is particularly important is New Zealand’s warm, wet conditions.
When you first assemble your table, we strongly recommend that you give it a re-oil straight away, or certainly within the first month and again every change of season. This is a quick and easy process but protects your wooden furniture from mould and fungi resulting from New Zealand’s unique warm and wet conditions.
If you've purchased a 250 ml tin of WOCA Exterior Wood Oil with your order, this should last you a few applications. We have WOCA Exterior Wood Oil available for purchase on our website or from your HOUE retail stockist as required.
The New Zealand UV exposure is the harshest in the world and will cause your table to lighten during the summer season. It will not grey off or go patchy like Teak or Kwila and this fading will generally be uniform, and the table still looks great.
Unlike Teak, or Kwila tables where you are often required to spend hours and hours sanding down and staining every year to maintain a new look, our tables require just a quick 5-10 minute re-oil. We highly recommend giving your tabletop and chair armrests a quick reapplication of oil every three months (change of season) to ensure the bamboo is saturated by oil, waterproofing it and protected from attack from mould, algae or fungi in rainwater. This takes less time than you’ll likely spend washing your car. Failing to protect your wooden furniture will invite mould, algae or fungi spore to grow. This is not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
POINTS TO REMEMBER:
- For best long terms results simply wipe off excess water after rain. This takes just a minute but keeps excess moisture out of the table. It is not vital, but helpful and reduces the speed at which bamboo will fade.
- Your table will fade uniformly during the season, oil as often as suits depending on your preference but quarterly re-oiling is recommended to protect the wood. Less frequent applications will provide less protection and may result in you having to undertake remedial maintenance of mould or fungi occur.
- DO NOT cover the table during winter. This will cause mould to grow on the table surface and into the wood. If this does occur, you will be able to remove this with WOCA Exterior Wood Cleaner and by sanding the affected areas with an orbital sander, before re-oiling. See the maintenance video on our website and instructions within this document.
Re-oiling your table is extremely easy and quick giving amazing results.
- Using a soft cloth and water, wipe down your table and allow to dry.
- Every 6-12 months include this step before oiling the table: Lightly sand using a 200-240 grit sandpaper, sanding in the same direction as the grain in the bamboo. brush away the wood dust, then use either a leaf-blower or a vacuum blow/suck the remaining dust. Lastly use a damp rag to wipe over the wood for a final clean. Let dry.
- Oil application in dry weather only. Avoid direct sunlight.
- Shake oil container vigorously before use. Apply the oil using a soft paint brush or a cloth around the ends and in the gaps between the lamellas. Brush/wipe away any excess build up on the lamellas. Ensure you have covered this properly. Unlike stain, oil will not leave bubbles or drip lines.
- Once the spaces are done you can start on the flat surface – You can either use a roller or the brush apply liberally to ensure even coverage and brush in the direction of the grain.
- After a maximum of 5 minutes remove excess oil on each lamella using a clean lint-free cloth. This removes the excess teak pigment from the surface, so it doesn’t leave a slightly sticky residue.
- Repeat the oiling procedure if the bamboo does not appear saturated enough.
The oil is completely hardened after 24-48 hour depending on the temperature and weather.
For general cleaning, it is recommended you use only hot water, as soapy water dissolves the oil.
Outside the season, store in a dry and ventilated room. Do not cover the bamboo top, as bamboo is a natural material that needs air to avoid fungi and mould spreading into the material. If left outside through winter, put a brick etc under one or two of the table’s feet, so rain will run off. Continue to apply quarterly applications of oil.
REMOVING MOULD AND STAINS: (watch the movie)
If mould/fungi have appeared on your table during the wet winter months, you can remove this and restore your table. This may show up as black lines or dark blotches in the wood.
It is important that you do not re-oil the bamboo if there is the slightest sign of mould, algae or fungi. The table must be cleaned and sanded to remove the mould, algae, fungi first before re-oiling. 250 ml tins of WOCA Exterior Wood Cleaner are available to be ordered on our website.
- Wet the bamboo surface with a hose or buckets of water to open the pores.
- Dilute the WOCA Exterior Wood Cleaner 1:2 with water, then scrub with a stiff brush using the WOCA Exterior wood cleaner. This cleans deep into the bamboo and removes grime and mould/fungi. Leave for 5 minutes, then rinse off with clean water. Repeat application if needed. We have 250ml tins available that you can order on our website.
- If your table is a FOUR table with a metal frame around the bamboo, apply masking tape over the metal to protect from possibly scratching the frame with the sander. (we have touch-up paint available to purchase on our website.)
- When the bamboo is dry, use a power sander to sand down the bamboo. Start with a coarse sandpaper 40 grit, and when any stains or mould marks are removed, change to medium 120 grit sandpaper, then a fine sandpaper to finish the surface, 200 – 240 grit. You will not damage your table with this process. Ensure the bamboo is sanded evenly in the direction of the grain. If you do not have a sander, we are able to send you one to use. You would just cover the cost of shipping at $20 return with a $50 bond.
- After cleaning and sanding, brush away the wood dust, then use either a leaf-blower or a vacuum blow/suck the remaining dust. Lastly use a damp rag to wipe over the wood for a final clean. Let dry.
- It is important that the surface of the bamboo is sealed immediately with oil again. Apply two coats of WOCA Exterior Wood Oil according to instructions above under Process for Re-Oil.
CLICK AND CLIPS POLYPROPYLENE LAMELLAS
For cleaning use a wet cloth or a soft brush. If necessary, dish soap can be added to the cleaning water. Do not use any kind of chemicals for cleaning.
POWDER COATED METAL PARTS
For cleaning use a wet cloth or a soft brush. Do not use any kind of chemicals for cleaning.
The steel chair frames are zinc powder-coated the are powder-coated in either black or dark grey, so the rust at a scratch won’t spread due to the zinc coating but needs to be repaired to protect the steel and repair the scratch. Wipe the surface rust away with methylated spirits to remove the rust and once dry apply the paint to repair the damage and protect the steel from the elements.
We have Black, or Dark Grey 50ml paintbrush bottles of touch up paint to repair scratches or scuffs and protect the exposure metal from rust, available that can be ordered on our website.
If you have a granite insert with your table then the stone is pre-treated with oil and will get lighter in colour with time. To keep the dark colour, stone oil can be applied.